Javascript Error

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Javascript Error

Postby andperry » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:54 am

I've just noticed that on my Xataface application, the javascript error icon (i.e. the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark) is appearing in the IE status bar on all pages. I'm really not sure when this problem was introduced. To try and narrow down the problem I've made a copy of the application into a temporary folder and stripped it down to the absolute bare minimum (i.e. index.php and conf.ini). The problem still occurs. The following points should be noted however:-

1. The problem only occurs on the real web server, i.e. it is OK when testing on the local host.

2. I have another application on another web site and it is fine. Both sites are hosted with the same provider and set up on a very similar basis.

3. Seems fine with Firefox.

Can anyone please help?

Regards,

Andrew.
andperry

Postby andperry » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 am

I have some more information that may be of help.

Tried copying the application for the site that behaves ("good site") to the one with the problem ("bad site"). The same application is OK on the good site but not the bad one. Viewed the browser source for each one and saved as a single HTML file on my hard disc. The same difference in behaviour occurs when opening the two HTML files. Started to copy differences across from the bad version to the good version to see when the problem is introduced. Seems to relate to the line that loads the plone_javascript_variables.js.php file.

Next I tried replacing the Xataface URL in the root index.php file on the bad site to reference the Xataface installation on the good site. The problem goes away, but presumably it can't stay like that with the Xataface installation on a completely different domain.

Next tried comparing the contents of the Xataface installations on the two sites using a file comparison program with two simultaneous FTP connections. Identical - not surprisingly as they had been uploaded from the same source.

Bizarre??!!

Thanks,

Andrew.
andperry

Postby andperry » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Steve,

I don't know whether you ever managed to look at this problem, but just to let you know that I have investigated it further, and having discovered something of the cause, I have been able to fix it to my satisfaction and don't need any further support as such. On the other hand however I may have discovered a problem that you would want to know about, and so I will explain what has happened.

I have all my web sites hosted with the same company and one of the options on the control panel for each site is to select whether it is to use PHP 4 or PHP 5 as the default. The problem previously described occurs when PHP 5 is selected. I have got round the problem by putting an .htaccess file in the root of the Xataface application folder with the line:-

SetEnv DEFAULT_PHP_VERSION 4

I would like to say that it is as straightforward at that, but it is not!! Just to confuse matters more, the problem does not occur on my local host (Apache/Windows) which is running PHP 5.

Hope this information is use to you.

Many thanks,

Andrew.
andperry

Postby shannah » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info Andrew. Glad you found a workaround. Not sure why this is happening, but perhaps this info will shed some light on future issues that someone might have.
shannah

Postby zottona » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:30 am

How do I add javascript to my cell phone? I have a samsung SCH-r410 and just today i had the internet installed on it. Now I don't know how to get to certain websites because it says i need javascript. The main problem is i don't know how to enable javascript.Can anyone help me out?

Return to Xataface Users