Problem installing Dataface on WAMP

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Postby hulo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:26 pm

I am stuck at the very beginning. I have a WAMP server in my local PC. I extracted the whole thing within the tar file under the www root in a folder called dataface. I think there is no scope to set permissions here under a windows xp installation. Now when I open my browser and type - http://localhost/dataface/dataface_info.php all I get is a page without the installation information.

It says -
Dataface [logo]

installed at

Installation status
Templates Dir
Templates Compile Dir

[Below that the Dataface Licence information is being displayed]

However there is no information regarding the installation status, the location of the Templates directory etc. So I think the installation is not ok. Tried the installation twice and getting the same results.

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.
hulo

Postby shannah » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 pm

--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby shannah » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 pm

--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby hulo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Steve.

My php.ini file already has short tags enabled i.e.

short_open_tag=on

So, no luck so far. What else could be the problem?
hulo

Postby shannah » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:09 pm

First question:
Is PHP even parsing the dataface_info.php file. You can easily check this by viewing the html source for the page in your web browser (not the actual file.. load the file through the webserver), and seeing if there is any PHP code showing up.

I can almost guarantee that there is.

Given that the PHP is not being parsed (confirmed by the previous step), there are 2 options:
1. That PHP installed properly (i.e. not set up to parse .php files).
You can test this by creating a file named phpinfo.php with the contents:
Code: Select all
phpinfo();
?>

And try opening it in your web browser. If you see a whole bunch of info about the PHP environment, then PHP is installed ok.

2. The short_open_tag directive is either not on or not being read. You can test this by changing your phpinfo.php file created in step one to:
Code: Select all
phpinfo();
?>

And check if it still works.

If it doesn't work then the problem is the short_open_tag directive. And since your php.ini file is already set to "on", then either your php install is using a different php.ini file - or it is overridden in a later part of your php.ini file OR you need to restart your web server.

You can confirm the correct location for your php.ini file by checking the 'php.ini file' row in the phpinfo.php page. It will show you where it is.

Hope this helps.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Return to Xataface Users