maximum bid- like ebay

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

maximum bid- like ebay

Postby Todor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:33 pm

I was wondering if it would be possible to tweak the code a little, so that when a user enters a maximum bid amount, for example- $100, and the price of the item is $50, the site raises the price of the item up to $55, (when $5 is the bid increment) instead of $100. Kind of like the system they have on ebay. If someone could point to the function that should be change, it would be of great help. Thank you
Todor

Postby shannah » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi Todor,

Anything is possible....

However this will require a little more than just tweaking one function. I'm not completely familiar with how ebay does things. If someone bids $50, then the next guy bids $100, (moving the price up to $55), then another guy bids $60, what happens? Does the $60 bid guy get any love at all?, or does the price just move to $65.

-Steve
shannah

Postby Todor » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:57 am

Hi Steve,

My idea was that each user inputs the maximum amount that he or she wants to pay for the item, and the website automatically bids for the user up to that amount. So, when the first guy bids $50, the second guy bids $100, the price is now $55. Then, when the next guy bids $60, (price of item=$60)the system automatically bids for the guy that put down $100, making the price one increment higher- the price of the item is now $65.

Sorry if this is confusing, but the only php programming i know, I learned from using your aucion site.

Just to clarify:

The current bid for an item is $10.00. Tom is the high bidder. (Tom has placed a maximum bid of $12.00 on this item, but his maximum bid is kept confidential from other members.)

Laura views this item and decides to place a maximum bid of $15.00. Laura becomes the high bidder because her bid is greater than Tom's bid.

A bid increment of $0.50 is added to Tom’s maximum bid of $12.00. That means that Laura’s current bid is now $12.50. Tom is sent an email that he has been outbid.

Hope this clarifies
Thank you

Todor
Todor

Postby shannah » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:13 pm

This is a fairly simple change if you are familiar with xataface development. One way to do it would be to:
1. add a custom/calculated field (in the tables/products/products.php file) called effectiveBid which holds the current effective high bid (equal to the amount of the 2nd highest bid plus some increment). (look at the field__high_bid() method for an example of a custom field definition - this method defines the custom field 'high_bid'.)

2. Modify the beforeSave() trigger in the tables/bids/bids.php to allow bids that are below the high bid (perhaps change it to allow only bids that are higher than the current effective bid).

3. Modify the various templates (in the templates directory) which show the high bid, and change them to show the effective high bid.

4. Look through the include/functions.inc.php file for the notification emails that are sent out and make sure that they are giving users the proper info (i.e. don't tell them the high bid etc...).

-Steve
shannah

Postby Todor » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:48 pm

shannah wrote:1. add a custom/calculated field (in the tables/products/products.php file) called effectiveBid which holds the current effective high bid (equal to the amount of the 2nd highest bid plus some increment). (look at the field__high_bid() method for an example of a custom field definition - this method defines the custom field 'high_bid'.)

Hi Steeve, I am not sure how i can do this, since my php skills are lacking. How can i get the 2nd highest bid, and where in this code is the variable that i should change:
$bids = df_get_records_array('bids',
array(
'product_id'=>$record->val('product_id'),
'bid_status'=>'APPROVED',
'-sort'=>$sort,
'-limit'=>1
)
);
taken form the field_high_bid
Todor

Postby shannah » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:02 am

Actually the field prev_high_bid is already defined (check out function field__prev_high_bid) which shows the 2nd highest bid, so you can use this field.

-Steve
shannah

Re: maximum bid- like ebay

Postby lariony » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:44 am

How do i use my moms ebay account to sell my items? I am 16, which is not old enough to sell items on ebay, so I was planning on using my moms account. Before my mom agrees to this, she wants to know if after I sell something, is the percentage of the profit that Ebay takes from the sold item taken out of her paypal account? I would repay her for any of the money that is taken out of her paypal account. Would using my moms account be difficult? And is there anything else I need to know about doing this?
Last edited by lariony on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lariony

Re: maximum bid- like ebay

Postby shannah » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:35 am

This question is better asked to E-bay. This is a support forum for "Web Auction" which is not affiliated with E-bay.
shannah

Return to Web Auction Discussion