Next strange occurence

A place to discuss and receive support for LCMS (Little Content Management System)

Postby njw » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 am

HTML editing has stopped working. When I go to edit a page, the content box does not display. The content is there on the display page. This happens on both IE and Firefox.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Neil
njw

Postby shannah » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:31 am

This is often caused by having the dataface directory hosted at a different domain. There are javascript security constraints that prevents cross-domain javascript access.

Solution: Make it so that dataface is hosted at the same domain. I often use symbolic links for this purpose.
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby njw » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am

It is hosted at the same domain. The Archomai domain is a subset of the qsgi2e domain it points to qsgi2e.co.uk/archomai.

How do you mean you use symbolic links?

Thanks

Neil
njw

Postby shannah » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:12 am

Suppose your app is hosted at: foo.bar.com/myapp/ and dataface is hosted at bar.com/dataface , I think you'll still run into javascript security problems.

If your app is at foo.bar.com/myapp/ then the dataface url must be at foo.bar.com .

By symbolic links, i mean: If you are using a unix based system, you can create a symbolic link as follows:

ln -s /path/to/source/file /path/to/link

It is much like the cp command except that it only creates a link. You could use this to create links to the dataface directory that would appear in the directory tree of the domain in question.

On my system I often create a link to dataface inside the app's directory.

i.e.

/path/to/app/
+---- dataface/ <---- This is a symbolic link to the actual dataface directory.

This would resolve any issues.

If you don't have shell access to be able to create symbolic links, you can achieve the same results using .htaccess files: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_alias.html

Hope this helps a little.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby njw » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Decided to do the simple thing - copy the dataface directory into the archomai directory. Problem solved.

Thanks Steve.
njw

Return to LCMS Discussion