Adding fields?

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

Postby nniiccoollee » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:38 pm

I've been using a hacked version PHPAuction to run an annual online auction to raise money for the Red Cross, and it definitely looks like Web Auction will be a better solution, but I had a couple of questions.

How difficult would it be to add a reserve bid field (and a few others) to the application code? (I'm a little confused by the structure of the source code, but if I spent the time with it, I'm sure I could figure it out.) I'd also like to modify a few of the registration fields.

Thanks for sharing such a great looking (and fast) app!

Nicole
nniiccoollee

Postby shannah » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Nicole,

Adding fields is easy.ÊÊ You just need to add the columns in the database and they'll automatically be added to the forms.

Adding a reserve bid field would also entail some behavior alterations, however, so some extra steps would need to be taken, but it wouldn't be too difficult.

I would guess that a reserve bid would involve:

1. The list view and details view for auction items would list both the current high bid and the reserve bid.

2. When an auction closes, if the reserve bid hasn't been met then the high bidder receives a "Sorry" email instead of a "You've won" email.

-Steve

--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby paulkruger » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:21 pm

Hmmm I just posted this request to the forum specifically about adding reserve bids.

In most cases a reserve bid is not made public so ONLY the admin should view the reserve amount.

BTW thanks for the idea re charity. I donate some sites to several charities and I may just suggest an online auction for their fund raising!

Is this where Dataface comes into play and if so, how do I access webauction within Dataface to make such changes and add columns?

I have no clue how to do the above.

Hopefully someone who does will share the results?!

Thanks.

Paul
paulkruger

Return to Web Auction Discussion