Save without reloading the page

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Save without reloading the page

Postby casanovax7 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Has anybody successfully gotten a Xataface setup to save data without having to reload the page? I would assume some kind of AJAX implementation would be required... If not, any chance I could get some tips as to where I might start to look into this?

Thanks!
casanovax7

Re: Save without reloading the page

Postby Jean » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:08 am

Did you look into the Datagrid module ?

Jean
Jean

Postby shannah » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 am

Jean is right. The datagrid module does this, but only in a limited way (in the context of a grid, and it doesn't work to well for adding new records). I am currently working on a few different options that make use of Ajax to save pages, but I don't have anything close to "automatic" like the current Xataface forms.

The ajax_form module
http://weblite.ca/svn/dataface/modules/ajax_form/trunk/

Adds an "Editable List" action that allows you to expand any row of the record list into a form, which is saved using AJAX. It is a little rough, and it only works in 2.0, but I am using it in a couple of apps right now.
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby casanovax7 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Awesome, looks like a good start. To be honest this kind of feature is more of a "wishlist" type thing that my users don't really need; they're just whiney and don't like having to scroll back down to the section they were working on each time they click "save". Haha, I need to make them go back to spreadsheets shared using Google docs so they can decide if saving without reloading the page is worth the sacrifice of all the wonderful dropdowns, checkboxes, relational tables, multiple users, and more that Xataface provides.

Steve, again, fantastic work, and to everybody on this forum, keep up the discussion and input - thanks for all the help!
casanovax7

Return to Xataface Users