Access to index.php forbidden

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Access to index.php forbidden

Postby wheeledd » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 am

Hi,

I'm just getting started with Xataface. My site is hosted by Site5. I've installed Xataface:

www.emily4english.com/xataface/dataface_info.php

I created a very simple database and added enough data to try out most of the Xataface functions. Everything worked smoothly. Then I deleted that database and created the real database that I want. When I try to add a new record or do a "show all" I get this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /art/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache Server at www.emily4english.com Port 80

So now I have created another minimal database (one table, three fields) at:

www.emily4english.com/art/

I get the same error message with this minimal database. The contents of the conf.ini file are

[_database]
host = "localhost"
name = "emily4en_EnglishWorks"
user = "emily4en_reader"
password = "**********"

[_tables]
; A list of tables to include in your application's menu
; These tables must already exist in your database

Artwork = "Artwork"

I'm completely mystified. I have no idea why my first database worked smoothly but now even this minimal database doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

~~Dan

PS. When I tried to submit this post I got a message that said:

"Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs." I took out the http at the beginning. I hope it is accepted now.
wheeledd

Re: Access to index.php forbidden

Postby shannah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 am

If it says that your index.php file is forbidden, then you need to look at either:

1. What are the permissions on the application directory and your index.php file? The directory needs to be at least readable and executable by the web server (e.g. 755). The index.php file needs to be at least readable by the web server (e.g. 644).

2. Check your .htaccess file (or similar) to see if you have any rules that deny access to your index.php file.

Try just creating a regular test.html page with some simple content and see if you can access that.
Then try creating an index.html file with some content to see if you can access that.
Then try renaming that index.html file to index.php and see if you can access that.

Oh.... and before you do ANY of this, check your error log to see if there are any clues.

-Steve
shannah

Postby wheeledd » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am

shannah wrote:If it says that your index.php file is forbidden, then you need to look at either:

1. What are the permissions on the application directory and your index.php file? The directory needs to be at least readable and executable by the web server (e.g. 755). The index.php file needs to be at least readable by the web server (e.g. 644).

I can access the index.php file. Xataface works and shows me the database:

www.emily4english.com/art/index.php

But when I try to add a new record, I get the access forbidden message when it tries to go to:

www.emily4english.com/art/index.php?-action=new&-table=Artwork

In other words, access is forbidden to index.php only when there are parameters being passed to it.

shannah wrote:2. Check your .htaccess file (or similar) to see if you have any rules that deny access to your index.php file.
. . .
Oh.... and before you do ANY of this, check your error log to see if there are any clues.

-Steve

The only contents of the .htaccess file are the lines to prevent access to the conf.ini file. The error log entries say only that it couldn't fine the error documents.

Feel free to take a look at:

www.emily4english.com/art/index.php

I appreciate your help. I have no idea how to track this down.

~~Dan
wheeledd

Postby shannah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:48 am

That is strange. Check your error log to see if there are any clues.
shannah

Postby wheeledd » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:22 am

shannah wrote:That is strange. Check your error log to see if there are any clues.

I certainly agree that it is strange! I had everything working with a simple database. Then I deleted the simple database and built a more complex one. It seemed to work at first but when I tried to add a record, I got the forbidden message. So then I made a new database with only one table--and that didn't work either.

The error log contains only this:

[Wed Jun 20 13:07:38 2012] [error] [client 74.215.133.196] File does not exist: /home/emily4en/public_html/403.shtml, referer: www.emily4english.com/art/
[Wed Jun 20 13:07:07 2012] [error] [client 74.215.133.196] File does not exist: /home/emily4en/public_html/403.shtml, referer: www.emily4english.com/db/

I also turned on debugging but that didn't produce anything helpful.

Is it possible that some file got messed up when I deleted my first database? Should I reinstall Xataface? Can you think of anything else I might have messed up?

Thanks,

~~Dan
wheeledd

Postby shannah » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:19 am

Just went to your URL and it seemed to work. What was the solution?
shannah

Postby wheeledd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Steve,

Yes, it is working now. I submitted a support ticket to my hosting company and promptly received a reply saying they had fixed it. Unfortunately it still didn't work. When I told them this, my ticket was escalated to level 2. I then got a reply that said:

I have now disabled the rule 378491 for your account.

That did it!

I have no clue about what this did. I think they are running a security package from Atomicorp.com. It apparently didn't like something that Xataface was doing.

Thanks for following up on this. I appreciate your attempt to help.

~~Dan
wheeledd

Return to Xataface Users