how to question: Make the edit record page allow for saving

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Postby generatedname » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:24 pm

Is there an easy way (or a way at all) to add a button to the edit record form that would actually save the changes as a new record in the table? Seems like it should be possible but my brain isn't working with me today.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurtis
generatedname

Postby shannah » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:18 pm

Currently there is no such feature. You could do this with a beforeSave() trigger but it would require a little bit of PHP coding.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby generatedname » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:15 pm

Thanks for the response Steve. Maybe it can be used as a suggestion for future versions then, instead of a how-to ;)

Thats ok though, I can work around it, no big deal. I wont be the only one entering data into the database so I was hoping to make it easier for others.

-Kurtis
generatedname

Postby moj0rising » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:50 pm

Is there a way to copy existing records? We're trying to think of some way to make it less cumbersome for the people doing data entry. There will be quite a few groups of records in the database that have very similar information in them.

Thanks!

Mike
moj0rising

Postby shannah » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi Mike,

Good feature suggestion but it is not yet available.Ê When I need to do things like this, I have generally just created a custom action for the application.Ê This is because with relational database applications even copying records may not be so straight forward.Ê Often people want to make a copy that doesn't retain some relationships but does retain other relationships.
Nonetheless... good feature idea.
-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Re: how to question: Make the edit record page allow for sa

Postby cookie720 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:38 am

sorry to revive a 5 year old thread, I have a new thread about this, but I am wondering is this feature available now? basically merging together the edit function with the insert new function?
cookie720

Re: how to question: Make the edit record page allow for sa

Postby shannah » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 am

This feature is still not available. You could copy the record, and then edit it.
shannah

Return to Xataface Users