Speed of Access

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Postby Aoirthoir » Mon May 29, 2006 9:14 am

This isnt so much a question or anything, just making a note for future checkback reference. Some of the tables I have access really quickly. Some take a while. Perhaps it is tables with many fields that are taking longer to access? Or tables with many records also.

Because in one circumstance I used an import program (shareware limited to ten import records per table) from DBF to mysql. Thus each table has the same number of records (ten). The tables with lots of fields take a good time to load (seven seconds). Running off of my local machine so I know it is not network latency. On the other hand another import that I had done from excel. Which has about 300 records and not many fields, also takes about seven seconds to load. But the tables with few fields and few records takes less than 2 seconds to load. Which, according to the specs for the project that I have from my employer, is exactly what they want (the request for proposal they sent out before they ever hired me stated no more than 2 second load time). Thus, dataface can definitely handle what I am looking for in that part of the spec, I just have to figure out why the other tables are taking longer to load.

Just musing for now in case someone else came across this.

Holler
Aoirthoir

Postby shannah » Mon May 29, 2006 11:02 am

Hi,

I have noticed very slow response when running off my local machine. It also depends on how many programs I have running. The bottleneck is probably in PHP and not MySQL. On my local machine (Mac Powerbook 1.67 GHz) with a lot of programs open, it has taken up to 15 seconds to load pages that, when loaded onto the web server, take only 0.3 seconds. I have dealt with some pretty hairy tables (lots of fields and lots of records - some fields being BLOB fields) and they never take longer than about 0.8 seconds for page generation (unless you are displaying upwards of 150 records per page). I'm not sure if you are experiencing the same phenomenon but this is what I have found.

Best regards

Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby Aoirthoir » Mon May 29, 2006 12:12 pm

Ok That makes sense. When I run off of my service provider, I also have slow response time. But I am running a shared hosting in that case, so there are probably lots of other programs running, not to mention other users.

I mentioned the other day we have two servers that are coming down and are going to be replaced by a new server. The two servers will be mine to expermiment with so I will see if we run into any trouble there.

If there are something over 150 records that have to be displayed in one view, and not paged, then they have to expect those pages will take longer to form.
Aoirthoir

Postby shannah » Mon May 29, 2006 12:35 pm

Hmm.. I am running a number of larger databases on shared hosts also and they don't exhibit this slow access time. I'm not sure what could be happening. You can install APD (advanced PHP debugger) to trace the bottleneck. Have you defined any delegate classes? Some methods are called quite often and may cause slow-downs if they are implemented in an inefficient way.. It's hard to speculate further without seeing the application tables, config files, etc..

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby Aoirthoir » Mon May 29, 2006 8:50 pm

No delegate classes yet. I am running on dreamhost out of california I believe. Not sure if they are slow. I will begin to play around with it some more later on. Right now, even though they specced out the program as requiring a two second max delay, this wont be a problem because they understand any issues we have right now will be resolved as I learn to use this stuff more and more.

I will keep you posted on it. Mostly I think since you said your access times are fast, we know then that dataface can handle fast speeds. If the bottleneck were dataface you would not be having fast access times when you run her. So when the time comes and I have to install apache and php/mysql on my own (ugh) for our server, I will just have to learn all this stuff about speeding it up. Not to mention all the other settings..grooooooooaaaaaaaaaaan...
Aoirthoir

Return to Xataface Users