Only variables should be assigned by reference

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Postby zopemgr » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:24 am

Last night I upgraded my Apache web server and as a result I needed to upgrade php4. Apache+mod_ssl complained with signal 10 about php, so I was forced to re-compile php4 with the -DEAPI option. Then the trouble began. When viewing a dataface page the following warnings appear at the top of the page. Per the "php-notice-only..." FAQ, I put

error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

on the first line of the index.php file. Scrolling down below the warning messages yields the correct page. All other php, pear, Apache and related apps work fine. Please help!

dataface-0.5.3r1
mysql-5.0.19
php4-4.4.2_1
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.34+2.8.25_3

-----BEGIN-----
Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /usr/src/dataface/Dataface/Table.php on line 792

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /usr/src/dataface/Dataface/PermissionsTool.php on line 95

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /usr/src/dataface/Dataface/PermissionsTool.php on line 97

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /usr/src/dataface/Dataface/PermissionsTool.php on line 65

Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /usr/src/dataface/Dataface/PermissionsTool.php on line 67

and on and on......
zopemgr

Postby shannah » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:09 am

This is an annoyance with PHP4 when they decided they would "remove" the ability to return by reference in PHP 4. The biggest problem is they left no alternative to achieve the same results. This problem affects PHP 4.4 only. From reading forums for other systems that have run into the same problem, it looks like there are three solutions to this problem:

1. Downgrade to PHP 4.3.11
2. Upgrade to PHP 5
3. Turn off logging of notices

I gather that you have already tried turning off logging of notices by adding error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE); to the beginning of your application's index.php file. It is strange then, that these notices are still appearing. Make sure that you do this before including any of the dataface files or calling df_init().

If this still doesn't work you will need to disable notices inside the php.ini file.

Hope this helps.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Return to Xataface Users