DBF Dataconversion

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Postby Aoirthoir » Tue May 30, 2006 11:09 am

Just a general question to the community, if anyone knows of a GNU DBF to MySQL data conversion program that works. I downloaded one called dbfConvert written in PHP that did not work. (Some minor errors I was able to discover myself but the rest I am not experienced enough yet with PHP to be able to weed through his code.

Thanks
Aoirthoir

Postby njw » Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 am

Have you considered opening the DBF in Excel or Access (or equivalent). Save as a spreadsheet and MySQL will load that easily.
njw

Postby Aoirthoir » Wed May 31, 2006 5:34 am

Does MySQL open excel natively or do I have to save to a CSV or Tab delimited file? Also though I have a few dbt files (memos) and those are crucial to get converted over also. But excel, while it will open the dbt files, it wont open the actual memo field portion of it.

But for everything else excel would work fine.

Thanks bro.
Aoirthoir

Postby njw » Wed May 31, 2006 12:49 pm

Excel doesn't save natively - you'll need to save as csv.

Otherwise use Access - it will import dbfs and dbts - and then there are opensource packages that will convert access to MySQL.

Alternatively, can you write a report in whatever you are using to update the dbfs that will create a format to import directly to MySQL? Shouldn't be too difficult unless you have an awful lot of fields.
njw

Postby Aoirthoir » Wed May 31, 2006 2:00 pm

Aye. I had considered using Crystal Reports. But we have access here and if it will read the DBT files, then I will give a look around at the open source packages that will read access. If we do not have to spend a hundred bucks to import these files, that's money we could spend someplace else.

As to them having an aweful lot of fields YES...This system is atrocious. I can't remember having seen a worse system. The field names follow NO convention at all. But by looking at the data and comparing it to the screen we've been able to figure out what is what.

Thanks again bro.
Aoirthoir

Return to Xataface Users