Windows vs Linux Installation

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Postby Aoirthoir » Fri May 26, 2006 10:37 am

We are currently running windows servers here. I myself prefer linux. We have a new server being installed now and will have 2 servers available for experimentation. We are considering one going to windows and the other to linux. In dataface is there any essential difference, in either system? Would my dataface applications run the same without change (including without change to any of the Pear, or other libraries and modules)?

Secondly:
Most of what we do is internal and will be part of an intranet. However we are considering allowing certain customers access to certain parts of our applications. Our tech guy is a windows fella, who has no problem with running linux except that he doesnt know how to support it. He is also considering the future supportability of the systems here. As to whether another tech (a linux tech) would end up costing more than a windows tech.

So the conclusion we have come to thus far, for security reasons, is to run the intranet as a windows system (with dataface of course) and the external server as a linux system. With the possibility to migrate one way or the other in the future.

I am open to any comments from anyone.

Thanks again.

Holler.
Aoirthoir

Postby shannah » Fri May 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Hi Holler,

All of my development is done on Mac OS X and Solaris. Most of the production systems I currently have running are on Solaris running PHP 4.4 and MySQL 4.1, but my laptop is running PHP 5 on Mac OS X (MySQL 4.1). I have also installed Dataface onto a number of unix/linux variants running PHP 4 or 5 - mostly running MySQL 4.1 . I do have a Windows machine that I use to test Dataface. I have a number of unit tests and some Selenium functional tests that all are required to Pass before I release a version for distribution. I always run the tests on:
Solaris with PHP 4.4, MySQL 4.1
Mac OS X with PHP 5, MySQL 4.1
Windows XP Pro running IIS and PHP 5 and MySQL 5

Certainly the safest bet is to use it on a Linux/Unix platform since that has seen the most use, but it should work on windows also - and I have seen a number of people write in that are successfully using Dataface on windows.

Hope this helps.
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby njw » Sat May 27, 2006 11:36 am

I am running Dataface on a remote linux server via a hosting service. No issues other than my occasional incompetence!

On the cost front, I would have thought that most IT graduates these days will have a reasonable understanding of Linux, and in any case, it should not be difficult for your business to train someone up reasonably quickly, since there is plenty of internet based support available. IBM's FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) policy of the 1960's and 70's is alive and thriving within Microsoft's marketing department!

(For background, I was an IT Director in the UK for 15 of the past 20 years and I have had to switch software and hardware platforms a few times - it is much less of an issue than any incumbent supplier leads one to believe.)

Neil
njw

Postby Aoirthoir » Sat May 27, 2006 12:13 pm

Thanks both of yall. For the windows end I downloaded and have installed:

WAMP5 Version 1.6.3

Created by Romain Bourdon (romain@anaska.com)