unable to get c0ommand line/any OTHER way?

A place to discuss development of the Xataface core.

unable to get c0ommand line/any OTHER way?

Postby PapaLion » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 am

I just spoke to my server host, a shared server, EZ 4 me... happy with them BUT... SSH is not available to me/no PuTTy etc NO command line available to me. So....I cannot do step 3...~ makesite ~ from command line? So... how ELSE might I install and configure the Xataface into a directory of mysite.com. Open to ideas, changing the host is probably NOT an option as I am content in every other way and have some time ivested with them, the are national co.
thanks much for ideas?
PapaLion
PapaLion

Postby shannah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:36 am

Proceed to the manual installation instructions. The makesite script is just a convenience script. Personally I never use it. I just set up the files manually because it's so quick.
shannah

Postby PapaLion » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:02 pm

thanks much... will do this eve. Good 2 know there is another way in.
PapaLion

Postby PapaLion » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:53 pm

This last idea seems to be working better.
I have mkdir 'FacultyOfWidgetry' ? do I place this parallel to the extracted program folder or interior to it?
mysite/directory/Faculty or mysite/directory/xatabase1.0beta3/Faculty

I ask this because I am not getting a good grasp of exactly how the index.php would find my Faculty database? I used phpAdmin and I created FacultyOfWidgetry data base with username:Xata, password: AYXata1.
So... I am not correctly entering the pathways in index.php or conf.ini or BOTH? and/or not filling out the conf.ini ~database~ portion correctly? Or just being a li'l dense? I dunno a,b,c, or all of above?
thanks if U can easily point me to any light here in this tunnel:)?
PapaLion

Postby PapaLion » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:17 pm

mysite/directory/FacultyOfWidgetry/index.php yields Internal Server Error 505. I cannot decipher a correct directory placement for the files and then edit the index and init files path and names to assure myself it is looking for the DB at all. I randomly tried several choices but can't find a way to check it. logs? error msgs? It might be helpful to others
I found 2-3 other similar Googled ?s like mine... "how do you install it manually?" Maybe, show a few examples for folks not well versed in PHP/MySQL DB format please of successful file entry (index, init) for a remote server?
I'm going to bed... might look at it again, I could USE this program if I could go past trying to get one makefile edited to work? sheesh!:) this is NOT the fun part now is it?
PapaLion

Postby shannah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 pm

I have mkdir 'FacultyOfWidgetry' ? do I place this parallel to the extracted program folder or interior to it?

You can place this anywhere on your web server, so long as it is web accessible (i.e. you can point your web browser to it).
It doesn't have to be located in the xataface folder, nor does the xataface folder have to be located in your application folder. The path and url to the xataface folder are specified in your index.php file.

What does your index.php file look like?
What does your conf.ini file look like?

An internal server error could be anything*. You really need to check your logs. (I'm not familiar with your web host so I can't be much of a help in how your web host make your logs available to you. Normally the log files in Linux/Unix are at /var/log/httpd/error_log.

* Some common things that might cause an internal server error include:
Bad file permissions on a script
.htaccess file options that aren't allowed by your server

One thing to check before you get too far is whether your web server is running PHP in safe mode. Xataface doesn't work well with safe mode.

-Steve
shannah

Postby shannah » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Maybe, show a few examples for folks not well versed in PHP/MySQL DB format please of successful file entry (index, init) for a remote server?

Perhaps when you get this sorted out you can write a short tutorial. I have tried to make the documentation as clear as possible, but a new perspective can be helpful.

-Steve
shannah

Postby PapaLion » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 pm

First, thanks much for the personal help, I am not too sharp on DB or MySQL yet. I would gladly share notes on my fumbling with others, edited by someone who has real knowledge.
I checked the server folks, No, we are not PHP Safe mode.

http://www.AlmostYuman.com/Yumanity is site/directory I wish to use for Xataface.

index.php
<?require_once 'http://www.almostyuman.com/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3/dataface-public-api.php'';df_init(__FILE__, 'http://AlmostYuman.com/Yumanity/Dataface');$app =& Dataface_Application::getInstance();$app->display();?>

conf.ini
[_database]host = "http://www.AlmostYuman.com"user = "Xata"password = "AYXata1"name = "FacultyOfWidgetry"[_tables]Course = "Course"Program = "Program"

.htaccess
<FilesMatch>Deny from all</FilesMatch>

I did not install ALL of the DB items for the ex... only the first two items for each one Course and Program and i did check to see if it was installed/showed up etc... all seems aok?

thanks much hoping I can settle down, take my time, understand zactleee what I'm doing wrong here.
PapaLion

Postby shannah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks for posting the details of the install. This makes it clear what the problem is.

1. The line
Code: Select all
require_once 'http://www.almostyuman.com/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3/dataface-public-api.php'';

Has problems because you need to provide the path in the filesystem to the dataface-public-api.php file - not the URL. It should look something like:
require_once '/var/www/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3/dataface-public-api.php'';

But this is just an example... you need to make sure you provide the correct file system path.

2. The line:
df_init(__FILE__, 'http://AlmostYuman.com/Yumanity/Dataface');

Is inconsistent with the first line. This should be the URL to your xataface directory. E.g. if the xataface folder is called xataface-1.0-beta-3, as your first line suggests, then this should be something like:
df_init(__FILE__, 'http://AlmostYuman.com/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3');

3. For some reason carriage returns aren't showing up in the forum. Hopefully this is just the way they ended up after pasting to the forum. If your actual files look this way then you need to add carriage returns in the appropriate places.
e.g.
[_database]host = "http://www.AlmostYuman.com"user = "Xata"password = "AYXata1"name = "FacultyOfWidgetry"[_tables]Course = "Course"Program = "Program"

should look like:
[_database]
host = "http://www.AlmostYuman.com"
user = "Xata"
password = "AYXata1"
name = "FacultyOfWidgetry"

[_tables]
Course = "Course"
Program = "Program"

This could be a line ending issue (the sample files use unix line endings). Best to use a text editor that can work with unix line endings (not notepad). Crimson Editor is a good one for windows (but there are lots out there..... I'm a mac user so I'm not all that up to date with the latest and greatest windows software).

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Steve
shannah

Postby PapaLion » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Goal: This is the page I am trying to get/direct my browser to, to eventually request/load? correct...which will be an example/FacultyOfWidgetry

http://almostyuman.com/Yumanity/Faculty ... /index.php

I get Internal Server Error now.

In index.php I first create the path on the server line 1
/require_once '/path/to/dataface/dataface-public-api.php';

which I have now as
require_once '/public_html/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3/dataface-public-api.php';

line 2, I specify the URL
df_init(__FILE__, 'http://yourdomain.com/dataface');
which I have as
df_init(__FILE__, 'http://AlmostYuman.com/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3/Dataface');

This second step I am less confident with? "D"ataface is in my xataface 1.0-beta-3 directory... this is the same one as "d"ataface in the directions?

I redid my config.init with the returns etc to match the form. I found site_skeleton which also has these of course to copy. Handy.

hmmm still inop... as of the moment, I am re reading the steps and your hints more carefully yet again.

One note in RE reading your help was permissions... I set permissions as 755/write owner for Dataface/tempates_c.
PapaLion

Postby shannah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:28 pm

I don't see anything that should be causing an error. Must be some config thing in the server that we need to be aware of. Problem could be solved in seconds if you could get your hands on the error log.
Believe me. You're going to want to know how to read your error log if you're going to be doing any development, as this is just the beginning.

On other items:

1. The "dataface" directory is actually now the "xataface-1.0-beta-3" directory. Not be be confused with the "D"ataface subdirectory. This is a remnant of the recent name change of the framework.

2. templates_c should be set to 777 not 755, as the web server needs to write to it.

-Steve
shannah

Postby PapaLion » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm

[Tue Jul 8 18:03:53 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:53 2008] [alert] [client 75.171.103.230] /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/.htaccess: Missing </FilesMatch> directive at end-of-file
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:46 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:46 2008] [alert] [client 75.171.103.230] /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/.htaccess: Missing </FilesMatch> directive at end-of-file
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:20 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] (2)No such file or directory: File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/index.php
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:10 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:10 2008] [alert] [client 75.171.103.230] /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/.htaccess: Missing </FilesMatch> directive at end-of-file
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:03 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:03 2008] [alert] [client 75.171.103.230] /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/.htaccess: Missing </FilesMatch> directive at end-of-file
[Tue Jul 8 18:03:01 2008] [alert] [client 75.171.103.230] /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/.htaccess: Missing </FilesMatch> directive at end-of-file
[Tue Jul 8 18:02:53 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] (2)No such file or directory: File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/index.php
[Tue Jul 8 17:47:10 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/500.shtml
[Tue Jul 8 17:47:10 2008] [alert] [client 75.171.103.230] /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/.htaccess: Missing </FilesMatch> directive at end-of-file
[Tue Jul 8 17:47:08 2008] [alert] [client 75.171.103.230] /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/.htaccess: Missing </FilesMatch> directive at end-of-file
[Tue Jul 8 17:46:59 2008] [error] [client 75.171.103.230] (2)No such file or directory: File does not exist: /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/index.php

There is probably more from earlier... but this is the last attempt. I/that would be / ME! needed to go look on cpanel and FIND the error logs, they're there. Alos I changed the permissions only on template_c to 777. hmmm still stubbornly refuses to let me have any fun:)
PapaLion

Postby PapaLion » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:57 pm

I just "fixed" the .htaccess file so it looks correct and it changed! eureka movement... the URL page gave up this
Warning: require_once(/public_html/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3/dataface-public-api.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/index.php on line 2

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/public_html/Yumanity/xataface-1.0-beta-3/dataface-public-api.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/almost8/public_html/Yumanity/FacultyOfWidgetry/index.php on line 2

hmm... which is zactlee what?
sorry for two posts in a row, thanks for staying with it. I appreciate the direction.
PapaLion

Postby shannah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:33 pm

OK. You're almost there. This error is telling you that you have the wrong path for your xataface directory in the require_once statement.

You can give yourself a hint of the correct path by having the script print out the path to itself, and then extrapolate that path to figure out the correct path to the xataface directory.

Add the following to the beginning of your index.php file (after the opening <?php)
echo dirname(__FILE__);

That will print the path to the current directory. Use this path as a clue so you can figure out the path to the xataface directory.

(note that you can also use relative paths. E.g. if the xataface directory is located at the same level as the application directory, you could do something like:
require_once '../xataface-1.0-beta-3/dataface-public-api.php';

Best regards

Steve
shannah

Postby PapaLion » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:20 pm

Update, the second code line was helpful, the error msgs changed to a focus on the MySql DB, a host ID error ... point is it moved probably because finally we got line 2 of the index.php pretty close to right. I never did figure out the exact path for sure? Also an unusual FTP uploaded file popped up in the directory, which spooked me (sniffing or such maybe) so I decided to remove the directory and Faculty Db for now. I will focus on learning more about my client activity on a shared server (Built my own LAMP but had poor security all by myself). Then I will learn a bit more about how to better understand/write pathways on shared servers. Finally I will decide zactlee where the Xataface needs to be on my root and attempt another manual install with no command line (as a long time linux learner I like command line/3, I will miss it), costs more for a VdedicatedServer than I want to go today. If I can get it running then I will share notes which should be edited by experienced developers and may be useful to someone and I will welcome a little more help if available.

One ? >>> Is it very important to focus on the FacultyOfWidgetry example... MUST I? Somehow I think I'd like to try a very simple DB and try to get a sorta kickstart (a very tech term).

much thanks for the generous help.
PapaLion

Next

Return to Xataface Developers