Navigation improvements

A place to discuss development of the Xataface core.

Postby shannah » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:39 pm

There are a few places in the current versions of Dataface (0.6.2 and earlier) where the navigation could be improved. For example, if you are browsing a result set of 100 found records by clicking next and previous, then you decide to add a related record to one of them, after adding the related record you will be forwarded back to the proper parent record, but your result set will have been discarded so that the only found record will be the one parent record. This is because currently Dataface doesn't use sessions unless authentication is enabled, so it can be difficult to figure out where the user has visited.

In a future version (0.6.3 or 0.6.4) I will be making sessions mandatory even if authentication is not enabled. This will allow us to keep better track of which pages the user has visited so that his result sets will be preserved across requests more readily. This will result in a better user experience all around.

=Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby Aoirthoir » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:33 pm

That will be nice. Along with that, the crumbs that you have set up could perhaps be extended?

For instance, Lets say I have a relationship.. Customers to Customer_phone. From the customer screen I see the crumbs:

Customer: Tom Jones: View.

Then if I click the Customer_phone tab I see:

Customer: Tom Jones: Customer_Phone.

Then if I click to edit or add a phone I see: (for instance for the cell phone)

Customer_phone: Cell: View

It would be nice to be able to fully back track and instead see:

Customer: Tom Jones: Customer_Phone: Cell: View.

Hope this makes sense.
Aoirthoir

Return to Xataface Developers