Categories with hierarchical structure?

A place to discuss and receive support for the Library DB application.

Postby takezo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:30 am

I'm trying to use the great library db application for a catalog of different medias (books, dvds, links ...). While looking on the demo I recognized, that there is only one hierarchy in the categories.

So I my question is: is it possible to create categories with subcategories? And if this feature is not implemented yet - is possible to create this feature?

THX for the help ...
takezo

Postby shannah » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:30 pm

The library application currently does not support sub-categories.Ê It wouldn't be difficult to add, however.Ê All that would be required is to add a 'parent_id' column to the categories table to track whether a category is a subcategory of another category - and re-jig a couple of things in the UI to make it work nicely with the multiple levels.Ê Hence it is quite possible that future versions would have this feature.

Best regards

Steve

--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Re: Categories with hierarchical structure?

Postby sharonfdm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 am

hi i a not sure if there have been furture upgrades since this post was created... but i am wanting to add the sub categories.. now i have created a parent id for my main category but how and wherw exactly do i link this? and if there is an upgrade already where can i get it??

hope this makes sense. just pulling my hair here :S
sharonfdm

Postby shannah » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:36 am

There is no update for subcategories at this time. It wouldn't be tremendously difficult to add this functionality if you are comfortable with Xataface and its conventions.
shannah

Postby sharonfdm » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 am

oh ok??

so the comment above mine
-----
All that would be required is to add a 'parent_id' column to the categories table to track whether a category is a subcategory of another category - and re-jig a couple of things in the UI to make it work nicely with the multiple levels
-----

is not as that simple?

i have done the parent_is column but just don't know which file to "rejig" in order to show the link and categories [sub categories in the UI

please advise i know you are not supporting this app .. but it is truly a great application !

thanking you kindly
sharonfdm

Postby shannah » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:52 am

The main changes will likely need to occur in the actions/browse_by_cat.php file. This is the action that shows the books by category.
shannah

Return to Library DB Discussion